|A Roman jug from Wroxeter|
Here is our caption for this image:
This ceramic jug dates from the Romano-British period, and is made from a fine grained black burnished ware known as Upchurch ware. The writing on the object, copied from earlier markings and labels, records the provenance of the object as Uriconium (Viroconium) – the Roman name for Wroxeter, which is now a village in modern Shropshire but was the site of the fourth largest city in Roman Britain.
Together with a contemporary label, it also records a detailed sequence of acquisition – its discovery in 1866 by ‘Mr Stannier who farmed the land’, its sale to a dealer in Shrewsbury named Mr Last, and Pitt-Rivers’ purchase of the object from Last in 1870.
(Pitt Rivers Museum Accession Number 1884.37.31)